Islay offers the visitor a warm welcome and has a unique pace of life. For more information about how to get here, where to stay and transport on the island please follow the links below. Please note that we cannot make travel or accommodation arrangements for you. For everything Islay not covered here please visit Islay Info or download the Islay Info App
Please remember to bring some sterling, as small food providers, stall holders at events, taxis and many B&B folks do not have card processing facilities. Limited cash machines on Islay and Jura.
Islay Whisky Academy offers various whisky tours. The tours include accommodation and full details are on their Web site.
Buses from Buchanan Bus Station, Glasgow to the ferry terminal at Kennacraig are operated by Scottish Citylink.
Full details of the ferry service and ticket options are available from Caledonian MacBrayne. Not all sailings have connecting bus services, so please check the bus timetables before travelling.
Islay Taxi Services:
- Islay Taxis – For private and business taxi hire and tours. For more info visit www.islaytaxis.com. Tel: 01496 850170 Mobile: 07771 921157 and email at email@example.com
- Carols Taxi – Carol MacDonald Tel: 01496 302155 Mobile: 07775782155 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bowmore Taxi Service – Bowmore Taxi Service offers bespoke Islay Whisky tours, private hires and Islay Taxi Services. Visit www.islaywhiskytours.net for more info. Mobile 07899 756 159 or 01496 810 449
- Hughie’s Taxi – Phone 07737 491 429 for more info or to book a taxi.
- Bruichladdich Taxis – Bruichladdich Taxis offer taxi services as well as island and whisky tours. For more info visit their website or Tel: 01496 850271 or 07899942673 (mobile)
- Jims Taxi Bowmore – Jims taxi offers taxi services as well as wildlife, and other Islay tours . For more info visit www.jims-islay-taxi.co.uk or phone +44 (0) 7497 528 633
- Lamb Islay Taxi – Lamb Taxi offers Islay Taxi Service and Islay Whisky Tours. For more info visit www.lambtaxi-islay.co.uk. Tel: 07846 055 399
For the more energetic, several places offer cycle hire, including
- Jim Lutomski, who also carries out cycle repairs. Mobile 07760 196 592
- Port Charlotte Bike hire opposite the Port Charlotte Hotel. +44 (0) 1496 850 488
If you are planning to sail under your own steam and make the journey to the Inner Hebrides yourself, we have an excellent marina at Port Ellen, handy for shops, fuel and nearby to the the three famous distilleries of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg – a terrific way to join our Fèis.
The Machrie Links, one of the best Golf Links in Scotland, are open, and not to be missed if you are a golfer. Two great events to look out for are “The Machrie Open” and “The Cross”. Contact Islay Golf Club for more information on these and other events.
Accommodation on Islay: