A Wander with Wemyss Malts – A tour of Islay’s historical illicit whisky sites
Join Wemyss Malts and Islay Outdoor Tours for an afternoon exploring some of Islay’s notorious historical illicit whisky sites. Departing from the Ballygrant Village Hall at 13:00 we will take a walking tour of several abandoned distilling sites, walk to the beach for a chance to forage some seafood and have a whisky and seafood tasting inside Archie Morrison’s illegal whisky making cave. Guests will be collected after a visit to a woodland waterfall and we will conclude at the Ballygrant Inn around 16.30 to 17:00. The tasting will include 5 old and rare single cask Wemyss Malts Islay whiskies including their Fèis Ìle 2020 Official Release and several 30 year old bottlings served with light food pairings.
Date and Time: Wednesday 27th of May 13:00 to 16:30/17:00
Capacity: 15 maximum + 2 Wemyss Malts ambassadors and the walking guide from Islay Outdoor Tours
Start point: Ballygrant village
Finish point: Ballygrant Inn
Attendee requirements: The walk will be of medium difficulty lasting approximately 2 hours and will include traversing a 500 metre incline. Suitable walking boots and rainproof clothing must be worn. Inebriated attendees will not be allowed on the walk. Guests must also bring a water bottle and whilst food pairings will be provided it is suggested that the walk is not done on an empty stomach.
– Stage 1: Depart from Ballygrant Village Hall at 1pm.
– Stage 2: Walk to the old Lossit Distillery (now the Estate Managers house). We will stop and look at it and talk about the history of the building and its water source. First whisky served here.
– Stage 3: Walk up the road passing Lossit Farmhouse and then downhill to the seashore. Depending on tides we will do a bit of beach foraging for seafood.
– Stage 4: Walk to Baldy’s Cave which once operated as Archie Morrison’s illegal whisky making activities in the 1860/70’s. Several drams of whisky, paired with food will be served inside the cave.
– Stage 5: Walk back towards the waterfall that is in the woods and have a final whisky.
– Stage 6: Walk from cave to collection point at the estate road.
– Stage 7: Collection from estate road, 16 seater bus return to Ballygrant
– Stage 8: Informal finish at the Ballygrant Inn around 16:30/17:00